brethren in LOUGHGALL, Co. Armagh, 7 July 1768.
Note in the
Register.. `now at work clandestinely, April 1801.'
Reissued to brethren in PORTADOWN, 6 February 1806.
Reissued to brethren in TAURANGA, on the Bay of Plenty, New Zealand,
by dispensation, 15 May 1876; by warrant, 31 December 1877.
brought into being by ex Officers of the Local Service and settlers brought out
to New Zealand in 1875, principally from Co. Tyrone.
The first Master, W
Bro. H. C. Hoyte, J.P. came from Malahide, Dublin, a member of Grand Masters
Lodge. The first Chaplain, Bro. WE. Mulgan MA., was Rector of Donagh.
Some of the
furniture and Jewels of this lodge are still used by Lodge No. 125 NZ
The consecration of
the Lodge took place on 17th May, 1876, and the Warrant for the Lodge as No. 462
was issued by the Grand Lodge of Ireland on 31st December, 1877.
This document, duly
cancelled by Grand Lodge, was at the request of Lodge Tau Tauranga No. 125,
forwarded to that Lodge, and now hangs in the Lodge Room at Tauranga.
Reissued to Thomas Houston, John J. Donaghy and Robert Nicholas, all
from Lodge 286, to form `Concord Lodge No. 462 in BANGOR, Co. Down, 17th June
The Minutes of the
Provincial Grand Lodge of Down, meeting in BANGOR on 24 July 1919 read:-
Communication of the Right Worshipful the Grand Lodge of the Masonic Province of
Down was held in the Masonic Hall, Hamilton Road, Bangor on the above date for
the purpose of Constituting the `Concord' Masonic Lodge No. 462. The Grand Lodge
was opened at 7 o'clock p.m. on the First Degree and was officered as follows:
R W. Bro. Col. R.G. Sharman Crawford
Deputy Grand Master
R W. Bro. Dr J.D. Williamson
Grand Senior Warden V. W.
Bro. A. Armstrong (acting)
Grand Junior Warden
V. W. Bro. Wm. F. Orr (acting)
V.W. Bro. W. Bel Burrowes
V.W. Bro. W. Bel Burrowes (acting)
W. Bro. Rev. W.H.N. Fisher (acting)
Senior Grand Deacon W.
Bro. Dr. R.L Moore (acting)
Junior Grand Deacon
W. Bro. Saml. Keenan
Grand Dir of Ceremonies W. Bro. T.H. Keown
Grand Sword Bearer
W. Bro. Richard McAuley
W. Bro. E.G. Mills
Grand Inner Guard
W. Bro. J. McCormick (acting)
convening the meeting was read after which the ceremony of Constitution was then
proceeded with and carried out by the Grand Master and Grand Lodge officers, and
Bro. Thomas Houston was installed as first Worshipful Master and saluted. The
remaining officers being afterwards installed and saluted. The Grand Master then
delivered an instruction and suitable address to the brethren. A vote of thanks
was passed to the Grand Master and Officers of the Provincial Grand Lodges The
ordinary Lodge business was then transacted, and subsequently the Lodge was then
closed in Peace Love and Harmony.
Bel Burro Burrowes PG. Secretary. (acting)"
The Lodge currently has a
membership of 42 Brethren, and at its peak in the 1960's there was 139 Brethren
at the Installation Night, both members and visitors. The average attendance at
our Stated Communications was then approximately 70 Brethren. Our current
attendance figure is about 25 members.
There have been four families (Cairns, Burns, Bibby and Stewart) in which a
son later succeeded the father as Worshipful Master, and in the case of the
Holdsworth and Swindells families the son preceded the father.
The oldest Worshipful Master
of the Lodge was W. Bro. Barr who occupied the chair when he was 85 years old in
1949, and lived to the ripe age of 99 years.
The youngest Master of the Lodge is W. Bro. A Gibson who was 31
years of age when he was installed as Worshipful Master in February 2002.